Saturday, November 10, 2012

KItchen Sink Confessional






Okay,  I am one of the only people left on this planet, that still wash dishes by hand and I have officially had it… I am so tired of wasting my time standing behind a sink washing dishes. I know in the housewives manifesto somewhere it says that this mundane necessary task falls on the shoulders of us women at least 90% of the time.  Now you have to understand, I am not one of the women that have to have a clean kitchen before I go to bed, I try to have dishes rinsed, food wiped, space clean and ready for the morning.  I admit, sometimes I don’t do them everyday either. Here’s the thing, Life is too short to spend so many hours doing dishes!! There are books to read to the kids, wine to drink, conversations to be had, relaxing to be done… After cooking a meal it is the LAST thing I really WANT to do. So, I have come to a solution to solve this problem and possibly cut my dish duty in half. I am implementing a one dish per person ordinance in my household… I have been considering this for quite sometime, and I finally did it. One plate, one glass, one set of silverware for each of us… There was once a time I was really into my collection of dishes, my myriad of styles and novelty pieces for different occasions.. However, as my entertaining has decreased and my family has increased the dish pile that I often refer to as MT. Dishmore has perpetually grown.  In the quest to simplify our lives, I am taking a stand to do away the unnecessary. When it comes to cooking and preparing fresh meals, my kitchen cache will remain, I am mostly eliminating the twenty glasses, every fork knife and spoon in the drawer, towers of plates, who needs all of those plates?  I will keep a back stash for company, who knows maybe we will actually use that China in the cupboard collecting dust when we actually have guests. Sadly, A part of me does sometimes enjoy the task. I usually catch up on phone calls, and contemplate. Yes, I said contemplate. The Kitchen sink confessional, as I have referred to it at times. 
This by no means will eliminate the daunting task that seems never ending and multiplies instantaneously. I have a gorgeous view from my kitchen window, now perhaps I will be enjoying it more actually being outside rather than looking at it from the inside. 

P.S. This has been in effect for about a week now,  It has been an amazing week, did so many other things.... 
I highly recommend it! 



Quinn's new 'kitchen' with the two EMPTY shelves...



Loaded FIVE giant boxes to be donated. 
Adios!


AHHH,  SIMPLICITY....




No comments:

Post a Comment