Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spring Chicks...

Meet June, Our new chick. 



She is the first of about a dozen chicks soon to be hatched for the first time in our incubator! The most amazing thing is. I watched it... We decided to incubate due to the fact that we had a raccoon incident, Needless to say, our only broody hen was the victim of the crime. :( So when my husband came back into the house from getting rid of the criminals (the coons) I said, " we have to get those eggs." We brought them in, candled them, threw some towels in the dryer to keep them warm, and set up a heat lamp in a drawer until we could get an incubator. This all took place about 2:00 a.m.  So we really didn't know if they were going to hatch or not. After about a week and a half of rotating the eggs three times a day, we noticed a hole in the shell. After some monitoring,the hole began to crack. When we held the egg up to our ears we could hear pecking inside. Then we saw in begin to move, after a while it began to hatch, It was pretty Amazing...I wish I was more savvy with my camera skills to have a sequence to show you of the timeline as it unfolded, The whole thing took maybe a half hour, forty five minutes. I was pretty excited to watch this miracle of life. When I saw my first lamb birthed, I cried. 
 We named her June because we were watching 'Walk the Line' the Johnny Cash story, If 'she' ends up being a 'he' We will have to name him Johnny or even better, CashWhat a great name for a rooster.


 Wishing you a Happy Spring full of new beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment