Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Winter = Sauna ...



This time of year, the dead of winter around here 
we find solace and refuge in our sauna.
It is a cedar-lined, wood burning, 
eucalyptus smelling piece of heaven.

For centuries people have taken part of bathing rituals to help increase circulation, cleanse the skin, and to detox the body and mind. We built this about 4 years ago after a 100 year old oak tree fell on the portion of our house that desperately needed remodeled anyway. 

For a couple that does not get out much with two youngins' 
and not a lot of extra money, 
this has been the best thing we could of done for ourselves.  
A true example of a 'stay~cation' right in our own backyard. 


The best part is, we have a creek running right out front, So we are able to rotate between soaking in the sauna and dunking in the creek. Crazy as it seems I cannot even begin to tell you what an extreme feeling of vitality comes from this. 


It is a mess this time of year, 
And yes, it is cold. 
I have to pump myself up everytime.
To remind myself of how amazing it feels, how amazing I feel,  
I remind myself that a warm enveloping 
cocoon is waiting for me back inside.

The Philosophy behind the whole process is to:

1) Soak out impurities of the body and mind.
2) Flush them away downstream.

With out step #2 It is just not the same, 
I have been a chicken at times and opted not to dunk 
and have regretted it every time. 
The going from hot to cold improves circulation as well. 
I love how my face looks afterwards, relaxed and hydrated.

The best part is standing out in the dark in all of your natural glory under the stars after the dunk. 
It just doesn't get much better than that. 
The energy,For this I am blessed... 

I wish everybody could feel the feeling.
After the whole rotation of about three soaks + three dunks=

Marshmellow~esque,Limp like a noodle...
Sleepin' like a babe. 






No comments:

Post a Comment