Monday, October 3, 2011

Something About Fall. . .



Something about fall. . . 

Although it is bittersweet when I come to hang clothes on the line and realize that this may be the last load, Or when I walk out to the garden and see things starting to fade, As is my tan, ha ha. But As everything turns with the seasons 
the change is always so welcoming to the spirit. 
I only wish that spring and fall would switch places 
with summer and winter... Wouldn't that be nice? 
I have always loved the fall, the splitting and smell of firewood, starting a pot of soup, or slipping a long sleeve 
or a pair of jeans on for the first time
because you are actually chilled. 
The crisp air, fires in the fireplace,
pomegranates, figs, apples, pears and persimmons,  
The list goes on and on. 

I never thought I would have my own pumpkin patch. But I do! And it is so fun to go out with the kids to pick when they are ready, But what is the best is that I can have my porch stairs overflowing with them, like you see in magazines. 
Yeah, that's me... One of my favorite things. 



Pumpkin Perfection



Fairytale Pumpkin


                                             

The Patch


                                               
 Glorious Gourds


                                       

Again, Natures  Amazing Palette & Design

                                       


So, We found  a secret wild pear tree a few years ago, and since we've been picking the pears are much more prolific. This year they are beautiful. I think we picked a bit early though, I Did not want the birds to get them first. So they have been gracing our kitchen windowsills, rotating with a brown paper bag waiting to ripen. It's such a treat getting a few each day that are absolutely perfect!





Check out this Melon! It's called a 
Bidwell Casaba Melon and oh my!
We have harvested the seeds for a few years now 
from each melon. It's character is sweet and succulent, 
somewhat like a cantaloupe but not so intense.
And so, so beautiful. We blended and froze 
the flesh this summer for a gelato type iced slush.



YUM!




As for the tomatoes... Beautiful grand plants, 
Maybe 20 tomatoes total (big ones)...
Yes, A bleak season. 
We did get a late start this year.
Disappointing for my winter stockpile.
Better luck next year. 

Ciao' for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment